Friday, July 12, 2013



A little R&R (Rum Running) to soothe the soul......


God knows I love my life and I thank Him every night
But sometimes I feel the knife of responsibility.
And the struggle and the strife, what's wrong and what's right
Has got me searching for the light and my place of peace.  - kenny chesney


Last week we took a break from boat building to sit back and sample the sweet island life for a few days.  It was my Man's birthday over the holiday so we took off for a little Key West  Rum Running (R&R).  Part of me felt guilty not working on my Luna girl.  So much to do, so little time...gotta get it done, gotta get it done. But then, I got a potent reminder of why you need to take the time to savor life...  I received an e-mail from a dear friend telling me that she and her husband were selling their beloved 36' Gozzard Yacht s/v "Seaberry" because it was time to move on...I could tell from her words that she is feeling so sad and lost.  Health, family, and life all play a part in their difficult decision and, while it will turn out to be the right one, I know it doesn't feel like that to Stephanie.  See, she loves being on the water.  Loves to sail, loves the peacefulness and stillness of a beautiful calm sea and the craziness of a brisk breeze.  Sailing is in her blood.  It gets her through the winter, it soothes her soul, and now?  She's just lost.....  My heart is breaking for her and I miss them already.

Off to Key West.  I let myself enjoy.  We stayed true to the calling and ate only local fish for dinner, drank maybe too much Rum (is there such a thing?  Mohito's anyone?), stayed....yep, you guessed it- on a 41' catch for a hotel with a view and went sailing!  Figured if we aren't working on a boat, we might as well sail one.  That's what it's all about right?

So, the next time you feel the "knife of responsibility" make sure you take a moment to look around you and refocus on all you have to be thankful for.  Tools will sit quietly and life will rest for a brief moment while you catch up.  Just remember to savor each day....and drink a little rum!

No comments:

Post a Comment